Membership Terms and Conditions
The Biomass Biorefinery Network is a Network in Industrial Biotechnology and Bioenergy, a BBSRC NIBB, funded by a research grant awarded to the late Professor Simon McQueen-Mason of the University of York (grant code BB/S009779/1). Please read the terms and conditions below. By becoming a member, you accept these terms and conditions and agree always to act in accordance with them. If you do not agree to these terms, please do not register as a member. If you have any concerns about membership, terms and conditions please contact the Network Manager by email before completing your registration.
- The University
- The University of York, Heslington, York, YO10 5DD, UK
- The Network
- The Biomass Biorefinery Network, a BBSRC NIBB awarded to the University of York
- Network Executive Group
- The Network Executive Group is comprised of Network Director Professor Neil Bruce of the University of York, Co-Directors Professor Patricia Thornley of Aston University, Professor Dimitris Charalampopoulos of the University of Reading, Professor Michele Stanley of the Scottish Association for Marine Science, and Network Manager (vacant position) of the University of York.
- The website
- The Biomass Biorefinery Network website was developed and is supported, maintained and hosted by Castlegate IT Ltd, York, UK.
- The Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council.
- UK Research and Innovation, an independent organisation which brings together the UK’s seven research councils including the BBSRC.
1. How to become a Network member
You will become a member by completing the online membership form available on this website. You are required to complete all fields marked as ‘essential’ and you may choose to provide additional information. Once your registration has been accepted, you will be able to amend and update your profile at any time by logging in to the website and making the required changes. If you wish to terminate your membership you can contact the Network Manager by email at any time to request this. If the email address you provide during the registration process becomes invalid and emails sent to you result in a Delivery Notification Status (failure) response, your membership will be considered to have lapsed and your details will be removed from the searchable directory of members.
Before submitting your personal data, please take the time to read our privacy statement. This sets out the ways in which your data is gathered, used, stored and shared. It also sets out how long we keep your data and what rights you have in relation to your data under the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
2. Your interactions with other Network members
As a Network member, you will be able to search other members’ profiles with a view to exchanging research ideas and establishing research consortia. You will be able to access pdf copies of slides presented at Network workshops and events.
In becoming a Network member you understand and agree that:
- Any material displayed on the website is provided without any guarantees, conditions or warranties as to its accuracy. Your use of the website and its contents is at your own risk.
- You should seek advice from your Institution’s knowledge transfer/research support service prior to establishing consortia with other Network members. The University is not liable for losses resulting from your decision to engage in consortia building discussions with other Network members.
- Content provided in the website secure area is made available to Network members only and should not be passed to third parties. You must not share your unique login details with any other person and you must take immediate steps to change your login details if you suspect that another person is using them to gain access to the secure area.
- You have been given access to other Network members’ details for the single purpose of building critical mass and enabling research consortia to respond to funding opportunities in the research area of the Biomass Biorefinery Network.
- You do not have permission to use contact details obtained from the members’ directory to send unsolicited emails for the purpose of direct marketing.
- You are solely responsible for ensuring that the information stored in your profile is up to date.
- Content shared through the website secure area will be subject to copyright. The University owns all Intellectual Property Rights contained in works which are created by us or on our behalf. You will not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded and you must not use any illustrations, photographs or graphics separately from any accompanying text. You will acknowledge the source of any material downloaded or printed from the Network website.
3. Uploading content to the secure area of the website
As a Network member, you may ask the Network Manager to upload relevant content such as advertisements about jobs, events or other opportunities to the members’ secure area of the website on your behalf.
In becoming a member you understand and agree that:
- Access to the website is permitted on a temporary basis and the University reserves the right to withdraw, suspend or amend this facility without notice. We will not be liable if for any reason the website is unavailable at any time.
- Postings made in the website secure area should be treated as confidential and must not be passed to non-members.
- You are solely responsible for any information you choose to provide for upload and the University will not be liable for such activities.
- You will not use any Network resources for any purposes which are unlawful or harmful.
- In the event that you provide content for the website, such content will not be used for the transmission, uploading or posting of any computer viruses or any other harmful or deleterious files or programs.
- You will not provide for upload any material which is defamatory, offensive, racist, vulgar, libellous or of an obscene or menacing character, or in such a way as to cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety.
- Before providing material for upload to the website, you will ensure that you have the full and unrestricted right to copy and distribute such materials. Anything you choose to share will be accessible for all Network members.
- The University is bound by the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) or such later revisions of the Act and the Environmental Information Regulations 2004. All information and communications uploaded or posted to the Network website may be subject to public disclosure under the FOIA, and that the University shall have no liability whatsoever to you arising from any disclosure of information it is required to make under the FOIA.
4. Attending Network events
As a Network member, you will have the right to apply to attend Network workshops and events.
In becoming a member, you understand and agree that:
- Submission of an application to attend an event does not constitute confirmation that a place has been awarded to you.
- In the event that you are successful in your application to attend a Network event, you will receive a confirmatory email upon the award of your place followed by full attendance details which will be made available to you no less than two weeks before the event is due to take place.
- The University will not be held liable for any costs incurred by you prior to a confirmed place being awarded.
- The University will not be held liable for costs incurred due to circumstances outside of our control, such as transport delays or late changes in venue availability.
- Attendees will be responsible for any travel and subsistence costs incurred up to the point of their arrival at the event venue and for their return journey at the end of the event.
- Once your registration for a BBNet event has been accepted, your institution/employer may be charged for any related costs if you fail to attend, or you cancel with short notice.
5. Updates to terms and conditions
The University may revise these terms and conditions of membership at any time. We will post a notification of any changes we make on the website and notify you by email. You have the option to terminate your membership at any time.
6. Governing law and dispute resolution
These terms and conditions are governed by, and are to be construed in accordance with, English Law. The English Courts will have exclusive jurisdiction to deal with any dispute which has arisen or may arise out of, or in connection with, these terms and conditions.